Finally I have this ready. I have naturally straight hair so I’ve always loved curly hair. For this article, I actually made my hair extremely curly to understand what these curly haired chicks complain about. Obviously one week of curly hair isn’t enough to understand your pains, so I took some tips from my sister who has naturally curly hair. I also spoke to some of my friends who had extremely curly hair and later got it straightened. I asked them why they would resort to changing the texture of their hair permanently. I loved the change I saw in my hair when I curled it at first, but that was before I realized what a challenge they really are. Here are somethings that only girls with curly hair will understand.
- Its always out of control and all over the place when you wake up.
- No amount of combing or serum helps it settle down.
- You need to embrace the volume that comes with having curly hair and work with your hair and see what looks the best.
- Its going to take forever to dry after a shower before it goes all crazy and all over the place.
- Believe it or not, there are types of curly hair, its not like straight hair, just one type. You can have crazy curls, tiny curly, hair that curls only at the bottom, wavy curly hair etc.
- Its almost always frizzy or so I think.
- At any given moment there are atleast 3 bobby pins in your hair that you don’t even know about.
- Humidity is a bitch. Before taking the pain of straightening your hair temporarily you first check the weather forecasts to see if its even going to be worth it. the slightest amount of humidity can cause major frizz.
- Its so hard to deal with the curly bangs and fringes that you end up straightening it after trying to set it for hours. (refrain from doing that!)
- Using a brush just makes it worse. Brushing through curls just isn’t a good idea.
- Everytime you tie you hair up it looks like a updo because your curly give it that pretty messy look. Way too messy sometimes.
- Broken hair ties is a common thing.
Now that we have all this cleared out, I thought of some ways to embrace the pretty curls and make it easier to deal with them. Because you know, if you actually straighten them, you’re gonna miss your curls. It would feel wrong without them and you’re going to have to keep straightening them every time there’s new growth to avoid looking weird. They are a part of you, even if straightening them would make them easier to manage. Its just not the way you were made. Here are some tips to make your curls manageable.
- Condition it from bottom to the top without getting it close to the scalp in order to avoid the greesy hair.
- Comb it with a wide tooth comb from the bottom to the top again. Get rid of the knots in the bottom first.
- Use serum when your heair is semi dry.
- Don’t wash your hair too often and stay away from the hair dryer. Every once in a while its okay, but its going to damage your hair if you use it regularly.
- Use a Tee-shirt instead of a towel to dry your hair. They don’t adsorb as much as a towel so gently squeeze your hair and then dry it. DON’T ever twist it.
- Trim your hair regularly, it helps to avoid split ends (This is just basic advice though)
- Keep your products in place. Know your shampoo and conditioner and dont switch too often. Also you need a good serum to keep the hair in control. Keep your serum with you at all times you never know when you may need it.
- Sleeping on satin helps to reduce frizz in the mornings.
- Styling products are a requirement when it comes to curly hair. Apart from your serum you sometimes need mousse and gel as well.
- Don’t use hard hair spray. It just makes your hair really hard to touch to difficult to work with after you’ve used the spray. if you make a mistake its impossible to correct after using hard hair spray.
- Stay away from products with too much alcohol. Use products with minimum alcohol content because the alcohol sucks up all the moisture from your hair.
- If you must blow dry then do it with a diffuser. It helps to spread the heat evenly unlike the normal nozzle.
- Don’t go for bangs and fringes. The short curly fringes and bangs just don’t look so good and are difficult to manage also.
- Just let your hair be sometimes. Don’t try to tame it too much because that mostly ruins it. Just fix it a little in the front and just embrace it. You go girl!
I hope my article was useful. Let me know what you think.